Academic Society of Functional Foods and Bioactive Compounds (ASFFBC) Young Investigator Scholarship Recipients:
University of Newcastle, Australia
Syeda Tauqeerunnisa Begum
University of Guelph, Canada
Hulda N. M. Chambi
University of Campinas, Brazil
The nominees were selected from a pool of 20 applicants and reviewed by the 20th International Conference of FFC Organizing Committee. The listed scholarship recipients are based on the committee members’ rankings.
*At the conclusion of the conference scholarship recipients will receive certificates for the scholarship award and participation.
Scholarship applications for the 20th International conference of FFC must be submitted by 5:00 pm February 8, 2016. Other important deadlines to consider are:
Abstract Deadline: May 31, 2016 5:00 pm (EST)
Early Bird Registration Deadline: Feb. 22, 2016 5:00 pm (EST)
Functional Food Center is pleased to be offering scholarships to students and postdoc fellows. The purpose of these scholarships is to help students pay for the expenses of attending our conferences. FFC understands it can be expensive for students and academia to afford presenting at conferences, so we hope this financial assistance will support selected applicants present their posters at our conferences.
Scholarship winners will be offered reimbursement of expenses associated with attending our conferences (up to 500 USD). These costs include possible airfare, transportation, hotel stays, and the conference registration. Please note: receipts will be required to receive reimbursement.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the conference organizing committee who will review each submitted abstract on the quality of the scientific, the objective’s relevance to the conference topic, and presented findings.
- Students and postdoctoral fellows who submit abstract(s) for poster presentation(s)
- Students who are currently enrolled at an academic institution in a Master’s, PhD, and/or MD program will be considered
- Postdoctoral fellows with a Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree at an academic institution who are conducting research after the completion of their doctoral studies will also be considered
An applicant is eligible to receive one award per conference. If one or more abstracts are submitted from the same lab only one applicant will be awarded.
Criteria for Abstract Review:
For general information on abstract submission requirements, please click on the Abstract Submission tab. The conference organizing committee will review each submitted scholarship application according to the following criteria:
- Abstract is relevant to the conference topic(s)
- Objective and problem are clearly articulated
- Methods, findings, and results are explained and related to research question
- Study and findings have potential to inspire discussion on functional food and chronic diseases
- Style and language used
- Abstracts should be written in US English or British English
- Abstracts should be free of spelling and grammatical errors, including limited abbreviations usage, little to none typography errors, and italics are used appropriately
For information on abstract submission requirements, please click here: http://functionalfoodscenter.net/abstract-submission-harvard-2016.html.
Application and Submission Requirements:
If you match the eligibility requirements and want to be considered for a scholarship, you should complete all of the following by the scholarship deadline for the conference you wish to present and attend. It is recommended to submit the scholarship application before the deadline to ensure completeness.
- Submit an abstract for the conference to which you are applying
- Have your mentor submit a letter via our email email@example.com to confirm your status as a student or postdoc fellow at an academic institution
- Complete the Scholarship Form
To apply for a scholarship, visit the conference page that you wish to attend and click the "Scholarship Form" tab or copy & paste http://functionalfoodscenter.net/scholarship-form.html into a new browser.
Late scholarship applications will not be accepted.
Although full articles do not need to be submitted before the scholarship deadline, full-text papers should be submitted before the abstract deadline. To find out how to submit an article to The Journal of Functional Foods in Health and Disease (FFHD), please click here: http://www.ffhdj.com/index.php/ffhd/about/submissions.
Notification for Scholarships:
Once the organizing committee has reviewed all of the scholarship applications, we will immediately send an email to notify all scholarship applicants. Award winners will also be listed on the website page to recognize those with the best abstracts. You should receive an email before the Early Bird Registration Deadline so you are able to register at a discounted price.
Requirements of Scholarship Winner:
In order for scholarship recipients to be reimbursed by FFC they must complete these necessary requirements:
- Present their poster at the conference
- Keep all receipts of travel and registration for the conference
- Complete an exit survey after the conference
After you complete these tasks and send us your proof of purchases associated with attending the conference, FFC will send you a check for reimbursement.