Academic Society for Functional Foods and Bioactive Compounds - ASFFBC
Mission Statement: This society was founded to build alliances between scientists, field experts and their peers from around the world in order to increase global awareness of functional and medical foods and improve the health and wellness of people worldwide.
Since 1998, Functional Food Center Inc. has been actively involved in the research and development of functional foods (FF) and bioactive compounds, particularly through the publication of books, articles and our journal: Functional Foods in Health and Disease. Our community of authors, subscribers, advisors and other affiliates has grown enormously over time. In addition, we are honored to count members of governing agencies such as the National Institute of Health, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and other entities among our past and present conference participants.
In response to the growth of this field, we are proud to introduce the Academic Society for Functional Foods and Bioactive Compounds (ASFFBC). This society of medical doctors, scientists, dietitians, nutritionists, students, and other food and medical industry professionals will be strictly dedicated to the research and development of functional and medical foods, bioactive compounds, nutraceuticals and the discovery of new ingredients and scientific techniques.
Building symbiotic relationships and collaborations between field experts who may otherwise be isolated
Promoting events, special edition journal issues, and major updates within registered organizations
Matching students with mentors or qualified organizations in order to facilitate internships
Educating students and interested individuals on the advantages of nutritional analysis, and verifying claims made by product manufacturers
Providing resources for industries to improve the functional success of their products
Instructing food industry leaders, clinicians, and the general public on available research and applications for FF and bioactive compounds to avoid deceptive practices
Matching scientists who develop formulae for functional food and bioactive compounds with industries capable of production and marketing
Providing forums for open discussion of new research developments, techniques, and ideas.
Annual Membership Fees and Criteria
- Student Membership: $34/year – Current Full-Time Undergraduate and Graduate Students
- Early Career Membership: $129.00/year – Any individual within five years of receiving a doctorate degree or young professional who has completed a nutrition, food science, or related degree within the past five years is eligible to apply
- Academic/Premier/Associate Membership: $139/year – Any individual with a degree in food science, general biologi, or a related field. Scientists, government employees, and medical or food industry representatives are eligible to apply
- Corporate Memberships: $595/year – Beneficiaries include up to 5 chief officers of business leaders
- Emeritus Memberships: $24/year – Any retired ASFFBC member ages 67 or older and in good standing with the ASFFBC for at least 5 years. Emeritus members must not be employed.