FFC’s Standardized Program of Study: FFC SPS
As an extension of our dedication to functional foods, the FFC is now offering the Standardized Program of Study (SPS), which is designed to expand your knowledge of functional foods through objective and independent learning based on a combination of general functional foods topics and your specific interests.
Goal of SPS
The goal of the Standardized Program of Study is to provide a more objective route to earn your Functional Food Scientist/Professional certification. The SPS will give you access to current research and findings within the field of functional foods and evaluate your knowledge on these topics. This program allows you to earn your certification at your own pace with structural support. We will work with you to complete your certification as well.
The SPS program is completely online and consists of 8 pre-selected chapters from our Functional Foods textbook series, some of which include a comprehensive quiz at the end. Quizzes are about 8-13 questions long. Chapters should be read in full and a minimum of 80% is required to pass each chapter quiz. Besides using book chapters to learn, the FFC also has pre-recorded seminars complete with powerpoint slides and written articles that students can use to learn instead. These come with quizzes as well. Having the option to learn from book chapters, seminars, powerpoint slides, or written articles offers additional flexibility for completing the SPS program.
Once you are finished with learning the content, you will take a final exam. The final exam is a fully online, multiple choice exam, with about 100 questions. Overall, candidates will complete 8 chapters/seminars, a few quizzes, and a final exam to earn their Functional Food Science/Professional certification. More details will be given to enrollees. By completing this program, you will earn 80 credits, which are equivalent to 80 hours of training.
The SPS is open to anyone who has an interest in learning about the positive effects of functional foods on health. This program provides students with enough information to do well on all assessments and projects. Thus, we encourage people of all backgrounds who are interested in functional foods to participate. It’s never too late to learn about the foods and compounds that compose a healthy diet and the ways that they can benefit society. The SPS can be used to gain FFS or FFP certification.
- Preparation for Functional Food Scientist (FFS) or Functional Food Professional (FFP). By successfully completing an FFC SPS course, you will gain all 80 credits needed to become a certified FFS or FFP.
- Standardized education. With a set curriculum, this program allows for an objective and structured route to certification.
- Self-guided education. You will have the opportunity to pace your own learning experience while maintaining communication with your instructor via Skype and email in the event that you have any questions regarding the learning materials.
- Scientific experience. Depending on the nature of your final project , you may have the chance to present at the Functional Foods International Conference or be published in one of the three scientific journals that the FFC has.
- Complimentary Membership to the Academic Society of Functional Foods and Bioactive Compounds. By completing this program, you will be granted a complimentary 6 month membership to the ASFFBC.
**Before signing up, make sure you can make the 80-hour commitment to complete this certification within 5 years.
1. Complete your application form detailing your educational and work experience and your personal interests in functional foods. This will help in creating your personalized lessons and project so that it addresses your educational goals and interests.
2. Submit payment of $695.00 ($595.00 for ASFFBC members) for the training program through our online store. There are no exam fees and the $595/$495 training program will be the sole payment needed to earn your certification through the SPS. *Payment plans are available and can be discussed as necessary.*
3. We will schedule an online Skype meeting in order to discuss your interests more in-depth and agree on a personalized project for you that you will complete over the course of the program.
Have any questions?
Email us at email@example.com