Diploma Program: Professional In Functional Food Science
Since 1998, the Functional Food Center (FFC) has been a pioneer in the functional food industry, aiding in the research, development, and commercialization of functional food in both the domestic and international markets.The Functional Food Center/Functional Food Institute is now offering the opportunity for healthcare professionals, researchers, scientists, students, representatives of the food industry, and the public to take our online courses and receive a specialized diploma as a Professional in Functional Food Science. By taking 5 courses, for 100 credits (20 credits for each course), you can earn this diploma. The Functional Food Center/Functional Food Institute is the only educational center that provides an extensive program for individuals to advance their careers in the growing field of functional foods.
- The primary goal of the diploma program is to formally educate students on the health benefits of functional food products and bioactive food compounds to increase their knowledge in this specific field of science.
- To prepare individuals to practically use functional foods in their career field and in research environments, in order to raise awareness in their relative fields.
- To prepare individuals to identify the similarities and differences between healthy, functional, and medical foods.
- To provide individuals with knowledge of the definition of functional foods and how to create functional food products, step by step. This is especially important and beneficial for food industry representatives to know.
Benefits of Receiving the Diploma
- You will have the knowledge to help individuals prevent, manage, and treat illness through food, and you will have an advanced certification to show that you are an expert in the highly competitive, growing field of functional food therapy. This is especially appealing to future employers when applying to positions involving functional food science.
- This special opportunity offers individuals the ability to learn from textbooks written in collaboration with many medical experts in the field of functional foods, which allows students to get the most up-to-date knowledge and research all in one place. You can practically apply your knowledge and new skills to your work and studies.
- You will get the rare opportunity to have weekly discussions on Skype with the professors teaching the online course to get an in-depth understanding of the topics. This opportunity can’t be found anywhere else and allows you to collaborate with experts already in the field.
- You will learn the practical steps in formulating functional food products. This is particularly useful for those working in the food industry.
- Receiving the diploma is an excellent way to add to your resume and will set you apart from others in your field when applying to jobs in your area of interest. Advancements can also be made in your career since you will have proof of knowledge in functional foods that can be applied to the job.
Online Course Objectives
- Understand the importance of trans-disciplinary science (food science, nutrigenomics, molecular biology, epidemiology, etc.) for discovering bioactive food components and for determining their efficacy
- Understand the potential health benefits of functional foods and what food sources they come from
- Identify relevant FDA structure, function, and health claims for new functional food products
- Understand the effects of bioactive components of functional foods on cancer
- Understand the latest research on phytochemicals and herbal medicine in cancer as well as current information on nutrigenomics and cancer prevention strategies
- Understand the goals of nutrition therapy and nutritional interventions that can aid in the maintenance and improvement of nutritional status in cancer patients and help in recovery
- Provide a complete, computerized nutritional analysis of new food products with the usage of USDA nutrient databases
$2,500.00 USD ($595.00 per course)
*Partial scholarships and group discounts available
**This course may be completed for Continued Professional Development and may be eligible for tuition reimbursement from your employment institution
Our recommendation for the order in which to take the online courses is as follows. However, you can take them in any order that you prefer. For the diploma, 5 online courses are required.
How To Receive a Diploma After Taking Courses
- Before earning your Diploma, you must be able to provide proof of credit. To show your eligibility, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, number of earned hours, how you earned those hours, and when you would like to set up your final discussion/interview.
- The final discussion/interview is the official exam for receiving the Diploma. Individuals will have the interview/discussion with our professors, either online through Skype or in-person at the Functional Food Center. The interview will prove that you have basic knowledge of functional foods including: biomarkers, bioactive compounds, chronic diseases related to functional foods, and how you have researched or implemented functional foods in the workplace.
- We also will want to see that you have the practical and working knowledge of the steps for producing a functional food product. We will then discuss how you will use your functional food knowledge and assist you if needed.
Using the Classmarker Site to Take the Courses
Classmarker is a Professional Online Testing Website that the Functional Food Center/Functional Food Institute is using for chapter quizzes, cumulative tests, and for uploading resources such as powerpoints, syllabi, and final paper assignments for viewing. After paying for a course at the Functional Food Center, students can register for a Classmarker account for free and join groups for their online course(s). Students will be able to view material and take quizzes, which are graded immediately. Everything course-related will be available to you on Classmarker, aside from the separate weekly discussions done through Skype with our professors.